Journal Club: Reporting new genome sequences

Journal club is back in session.

This week's paper: An atlas of over 90,000 conserved noncoding sequences provides insight into crucifer regulatory regions by Haudry et al. (2013). 

I guess papers on straight genome sequences can't get published anymore, perhaps rightfully so. However, in this case, I think the availability of the genome sequences the authors obtained will be more useful than the analyses they performed.

My comment:
I think the important contribution of the paper are the new plant genome sequences, but it seemed that the authors tried to sell it as though the collection of conserved non-coding sequences were the important contribution. I didn't think the analyses were particularly novel, nor were the findings, but I suspect the new genome sequences will be useful for the field.

Comments

Popular Posts